I don’t know who is in charge of classifying stories at the San Jose Mercury News, but they’re in need of a little common sense and sensitivity.
Their new “You’ve Gotta Be Kidding” section of weird news contains these stories today:
Toy-gun robber foiled by bat-wielding store worker in Alabama
BAY MINETTE, Ala. — Authorities in south Alabama say a gas station employee used a cricket bat to chase away a would-be robber who brandished a toy gun.
– Cops say bank robber flagged down undercover officer to escape
– West Virginia woman wins 9th lottery prize; five with instant tickets
– Researchers looking for 3-foot, spitting worm under Northwest fields
– Lust leads to drug bust
– Prankster uses gas leak ruse to get couple to trash their hotel room
– Southern California woman accused of biting off teen’s finger
– Orchestra plays live ‘Lone Ranger’ theme song at English horse race
– 2-year-old Pennsylvania toddler hides so well, police called to seek her
– Connecticut cops: Man went naked to dental appointment
Okay, some of these are a little wacky. But here’s the problem: they also include these stories as worthy of a chuckle:
– Los Angeles man shot dead the day before 20th anniversary of dad’s murder
– Body of high-rise cleaning woman found bound and gagged with gold crucifix taped to mouth
– Cops: Cleaning woman who vanished from high-rise office may be in the trash
– Fundraiser says university officials tried to make her a sexual ‘plaything’ for big donors
– Idaho woman accused of having sex with 14-year-old she was hired to watch
– Cops: For years man confined stepson to bedroom for sex
– Man dies after falling into vat of chocolate in New Jersey
I don’t know about you, but I don’t really think murder and sexual abuse are subjects to laugh about.